Doctoral Scholarships 2023 For International Students
Killam Doctoral Scholarships are the most prestigious awards available to graduate students at UBC. The Killam Scholarship and Prize Programmes were established in memory of Izaak Walton Killam through the Will of his wife, Dorothy Johnston Killam, and through gifts made during her lifetime. Their primary purpose is to support advanced education and research at five Canadian universities and the Canada Council for the Arts.
The University of British Columbia (UBC) in association with Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Fund for Advanced Studies is offering the Killam Doctoral Scholarship to top doctoral candidates.
The UBC Killam Doctoral Scholarships are provided annually from the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Fund for Advanced Studies. It was Mrs. Killam’s desire that those selected to receive scholarships: “Be likely to contribute to the advancement of learning or to win distinction in a profession. A Killam scholar should not be a one-sided person…Special distinction of intellect should be founded upon sound character.”
To be eligible to apply for Killam Doctoral Scholarship funding, applicants must have completed no more than 24 months of doctoral study as of the start date of the scholarship. Therefore, applicants to the 2022-2023 competition must have completed no more than 24 months of doctoral study as of 1 September 2023
People Also Search:
- Research ability and potential – 50%
Relevant experience and achievements obtained within and beyond academia – 50%
- Quality of research proposal
- specific, focused and feasible research question(s) and objective(s)
- clear description of the proposed methodology
- significance and expected contributions to research
- Relevant training, such as academic training, lived experience and traditional teachings
- Research experience and achievements relative to the applicant’s stage of study, lived experience and knowledge systems
- Quality of contributions and extent to which they advance the field of research. Contributions may include: publications, patents, reports, posters, abstracts, monographs, presentations, creative outputs, knowledge translation outputs, community products, etc.
- Demonstration of sound judgment and ability to think critically
- Demonstration of responsible and ethical research conduct, including honest and thoughtful inquiry, rigorous analysis, commitment to safety and to the dissemination of research results and adherence to the use of professional standards
- Enthusiasm for research, originality, initiative, autonomy, relevant community involvement and outreach
- The ability or potential to communicate theoretical, technical and/or scientific concepts clearly and logically in written and oral formats
- Scholarships, awards and distinctions (amount, duration and prestige)
- Academic record:
- Duration of previous studies
- Program requirements and courses pursued
- Course load
- Relative standing in program (if available)
- Professional, academic and extracurricular activities as well as collaborations with supervisors, colleagues, peers, students and members of the community, such as:
- teaching, mentoring, supervising and/or coaching
- managing projects
- participating in science and/or research promotion
- community outreach, volunteer work and/or civic engagement
- chairing committees and/or organizing conferences and meetings
- participating in departmental or institutional organizations, associations, societies and/or clubs
Number of Awardees:
Approximately 15-20 awards
Value of Scholarship:
$30,000 per annum and a $2,000 allowance for research-related travel during the 24 months of the scholarship.
Duration of Scholarship:
How to Apply: Students who are eligible for the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Doctoral (CGS-D) (such as Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada) are required to apply for CGS-D. Students who submit an NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR doctoral award application to UBC Okanagan are also eligible for Killam Scholarship funding, and do not need to submit a separate application.
Killam applicants (such as international students) must submit their application materials to the College of Graduate Studies by the deadline indicated above.
The Killam Doctoral Scholarships are part of the Affiliated Fellowships-Doctoral award competition. To be considered for the Killam Doctoral Scholarships, you must apply for the Affiliated Fellowships-Doctoral award competition.
Please ensure all application materials and references are received by the College of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org by the competition deadline indicated above.
The application deadline for this scholarship 13th September, 2022
Official Scholarship Website
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship page. This is only a one-page summarized listing of the scholarship. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct.